Area Operations Manager
We are recruiting for an Operations Manager to start immediately at our South West office in Avonmouth, Bristol. This is a new and rewarding senior role that will play a very real part in influencing business performance at both a strategic and on-the-ground level, designed to meet ambitious growth plans and maximise profitability in both the short and long term.
As an Operations Manager, you will report to the Directors and be responsible for the overall performance of our South West regional business unit – comprising of over 40 x bulk haulage HGV’s and drivers, a Transport Supervisor, Sales Manager and a large network of material and waste disposal suppliers.
The ideal candidate will have management/senior-level experience in the transport/distribution, construction and/or building materials (aggregates) industries; a comprehensive understanding of people and supplier management and a proven track record of setting and meeting objectives critical to a business’s success.
Your duties include:
- Responsible for overall business unit performance
- Ownership of safety performance – incidents and accidents
- Set objectives and measure relevant financial and operational KPI’s to report to Directors
- Manage, develop and support your team of 2 employees to meet objectives
- Responsible for compliance and wellbeing of wider operational employeers (40+)
- Responsible for business assets – office, facilities, equipment, vehicles etc.
- Maintain business unit and fleet compliance – regulatory bodies include VOSA, Environment Agency and Local Authority
- Directly liaising with customers and suppliers where escalated involvement is required (high value OR issue resolution)
- Ad-hoc project management – specifically in construction/land engineering
- Work closely with head office functions to support growth plans, such as marketing, finance and operations
- Full UK Driving Licence
- 5+ Years experience within, or supplying to, the construction industry
- 2+ Years in an operations management position
- NEBOSH Qualification or similar (relevant experience will be considered)
- Understanding of WRAP aggregate Protocol
- Understanding of aggregate specifications – Such as ‘Specification for Highways Works’
- Experience in landfill, land engineering and/or quarrying
- Understanding of construction plant and machinery
- ILM Qualification
This role will require varied working hours and travel.
Holiday entitlement = 20 days plus Statutory Bank Holidays (accrued monthly in the first year).