Skip V grab hire
29 July 2019
Skip and grab hire are both great options for your domestic or commercial projects. There are advantages to both depending on the size and type of project you are involved in as well as your location, so read on to discover which option would be best suited to your requirements.
Skips are great for domestic projects, whether they are being carried out as a DIY project, or completed by a professional. Either way, the waste that is generated has to be disposed of. If you are the homeowner doing a project in your spare time, a skip is convenient as you can have it for several weeks allowing you to work on the project at your own pace, filling the skip as you go.
Grab hire will be viable for certain domestic projects such as large-scale landscaping and redoing driveways as it will enable large volumes of waste to be removed quickly and easily, providing there is sufficient access to the property.
For larger construction projects, grab hire is ideal as much larger volumes of waste are able to be taken away in one go. On a commercial site there is likely to be more space to enable a grab lorry to get in and out easily, making it the obvious choice.
That said, a combination of both grab hire and skips is a good idea on a construction site as the grab can be employed on an ad hoc basis when big loads of waste are generated and skips can be utilised for continual waste streams.
10 reasons to choose skip hire
- For domestic customers, skips can save you endless trips to the tip, which involves lots of lifting and shifting and a dirty car!
- Our smaller skips are a great option where space is limited as they can fit into smaller gardens and on hardstands.
If you do not have space on your property for a skip, TJ can arrange a road permit for your skip (for a small fee), taking all the hassle away.
- Skips come in a range of sizes from 2 yard minis to 12 yard jumbos, with the added extra of 17 and 35 yard rollonoff containers, so there’s one to suit every project.
- Skips can be emptied and returned for re-use, giving you a constant waste disposal option on-site.
- You can book a skip to be delivered as quickly as the next working day so you can start clearing that waste almost immediately.
- Having a skip onsite means that the waste is ‘out of sight, out of mind’ as soon as it’s thrown in, so it’s one less thing to worry about.
- You can opt to have the skip for as little as four days and receive a 5% discount (online orders only), or as long as two weeks with pick-up day of your choice.
- Your skip can be delivered and collected without you even being there, meaning it won’t stop you getting on with anything else.
- Skips can be filled with mixed waste and most things can go into our skips (see list of materials not allowed) and TJ also offers plasterboard-only skips if needed for construction projects.
10 reasons to choose grab hire
- With TJ, it’s quick and easy to arrange, so you could have your waste removed as quickly as the next working day as a result of a single phone call.
- We can offer a choice of size of grab lorry to suit your waste quantity and the accessibility of your site.
It’s a great way to get rid of large volumes of waste in one go.
- Our 6-wheel grab vehicles can be used at sites with low walls and fencing – removing the need to move the waste manually.
- It’s a cost effective way to dispose of soil and rubble.
- Opting for grab hire frees up space on site as once the waste has been taken, it’s gone, rather than being stored onsite in a skip for days or weeks.
- You can schedule in as many or as few grabs as you need and you can book them as and when you need them.
- Unlike with a skip, you don’t have to estimate your waste levels as closely as grabs can take greater quantities and can do additional runs if needed.
- The process is quick! Grab lorries can be on and off a site within half an hour, taking all your unwanted waste with them!
- It’s a safe option – our entire fleet is accredited by the TfL Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme, and boasts advanced safety systems such as audible left turning warning and 360 degree camera systems.
More about skip hire
How do you decide which skip is right for your project? You need to estimate how much waste you think you will generate during the project (tough, we know!) and go for the skip to match. Write down the materials that you will be getting rid of and try to guess how much space it will take up. The guidance below may help, but also check out the individual skip pages for a better idea and exact dimensions.
2 yard ‘mini’ skip: this is ideal for small domestic and garden jobs and will hold 20-30 bin bags’ worth of waste.
4 yard ‘midi’ skip: perfect for projects such as kitchen or bathroom refits or garden clearance, this skip can hold 30-40 bin bags.
6 yard ‘maxi’ skip: it can hold between 50 and 60 bin bags of waste, making it ideal for medium-sized projects such as house renovations and clearance of gardens, garages and lofts.
8 yard ‘mega’ skip: this skip can hold 60-80 bin bags’ worth of waste. It is often used for bulky and heavy waste such as rubble, soil or concrete and is perfect for major renovation work or full house clearance.
12 yard ‘jumbo’ skip: ideal for larger jobs such as full office or house clearances as well as a range of commercial projects, this skip can hold the equivalent of around 120 bin bags.
A bit about grab hire
Designed with effortless waste collection in mind, grab hire is perfect for use where space is limited or where the loading machines for our larger tipper vehicles aren’t present. Perfect for all site clearance work, muck away and the delivery of a wide range of aggregates, our grab hire solutions are suitable for use in both the trade and public sectors.
- Our 6-wheel grab lorries have a load capacity of 12m3 or approximately 11 – 13 tonnes.
- Our 8-wheel grab lorries have a load capacity of 15m3 or approximately 14 – 16 tonnes.
Grab vehicles are perfectly equipped to load a wide range of waste streams, including builders’ waste, inert spoil, concrete, bricks, asphalt and green waste. Our fleet are available to hire for waste collection and disposal, and haulage per load, day or contract mileage basis.
Meet Jacob Turner, Welder
Jacob joined TJ six months ago and prides himself on always doing a good job. Outside of work, famil ...
Which aggregate? Limestone v iBlend
We source and supply both primary limestone and our own recycled aggregate known as iBlend. These tw ...
Butser Quarry: supplying aggregates to the construction industry
Chalk has been used in the construction industry for decades. It’s versatility, strength, affordab ...