Our guide to domestic skip hire
28 March 2022
Spring is here, so what better time to get on with that project or clear out? Easter is fast-approaching too, so if you have time off for the long weekend or over the school holidays, it would be a great time to get busy in your home or garden.
Perhaps you’ve been thinking about having a clear out – whether the garage is jam packed, the loft is stuffed to the rafters or you just fancy a top to bottom house declutter! Many of us get the urge to have a good sort out and ‘spring clean’ this time of year.
It’s also the ideal time to give your garden a really good once over – trim those hedges, cut back trees and get rid of any debris you have leftover after a long winter – broken fence panels, old furniture or last year’s punctured paddling pool! Get the garden ship shape for summer and you’ll be able to relax and enjoy your outdoor space once the warmer weather arrives.
If there’s a DIY project that you’ve put off time and time again, why not bite the bullet and get it done once and for all?Whether you need to re-turf the garden, lay a new patio or driveway, re-carpet the house or treat yourself to that new kitchen, make 2022 the year to get it done!
TJ’s skip hire service can provide you with the ideal solution to your waste disposal needs. Our skips are available in a range of sizes and can be hired for up to two weeks under standard hire. At the time of booking, if you book the collection of your skip within 4 days of delivery, you will receive a 5% discount. If you require skip hire for a larger or longer-term project, we can arrange a skip exchange for you, swapping your full one for an empty one when you need it.
At TJ we offer a range of skips to suit every requirement:
The smallest skip available, the ‘mini’ 2 yard skip can accommodate approximately 20 bin bags full of waste, making it perfectly placed for small domestic jobs such as garden work and DIY projects.
With the capacity to accommodate approximately 40 bin bags full of waste, the 4 yard skip is ideal for a range of home projects, as well as major garden clearances.
The classic builders skip, the 6 yard skip has ample space to accommodate approximately 60 bin bags. This skip is perfect for moderate amounts of bulky waste – making them ideal for domestic projects such as kitchen and bathroom refits and other home renovations.
8 YARD MEGA SKIP
The 8 yard mega skip is the most popular skip size in the UK, perfect for large, bulky items as well as heavy waste. In terms of capacity, it is able to accommodate approximately 60-80 bin bags’ worth (depending on the type of waste you are disposing of) but this should give you a good idea of how much it will take.
12 YARD JUMBO SKIP
The 12 yard jumbo skip can hold approximately 120 bags of waste and accommodate large amounts of high volume waste such as metal, wood, plastics and packaging. It’s important to note that skips of this size are not suitable for heavy loads such as rubble and concrete, as it will make the skip too heavy to be lifted once full.
You could opt to go for a ‘skip exchange’ arrangement whereby your full skip is taken away and replaced with an empty one, giving you a constant waste disposal option on-site, ideal for longer projects. This works well because as soon as the skip is approaching capacity, you can call us and schedule an exchange to ensure seamless disposal. We will arrive on time and do the swap quickly and efficiently so that your project can continue as planned.
TYPES OF WASTE
Skips can be filled with a range of different types of waste, so whatever project you’re undertaking, our skip hire service will be able to take care of your waste disposal for you. Below is a list of materials commonly disposed of in our skips – please get in touch to ask about unusual types of waste not listed here:
- Glass / windows / frames
- Packaging / polystyrene
- Rubble / cement / bricks / tiles
- Electrical cabling
Materials that cannot go in a standard skip, but may be able to be taken care of separately (enquire for details):
- Liquid waste of any nature
- Fluorescent tubes
- Pressurised containers e.g. gas bottles
- Car engines or tyres
- Fridges or freezers
- Televisions or computer screens
- Clinical waste, including syringes or needles
WHY CHOOSE TJ FOR YOUR SKIP HIRE?
- We’re a reputable company and well known in the southern region. We look after our skips and ensure they are in tip top condition so you know you’re getting a quality product. We’re dedicated to diverting as much waste as possible from landfill and we handle and dispose of all waste responsibly, ensuring that the waste we remove is sorted, segregated and sent down the most appropriate routes.
- Our entire fleet is modern and safe. Road safety and keeping our fleet in the best possible condition are amongst our top priorities. All of our vehicles – including our skip lorries – are part of a continual renewal and maintenance scheme so that they are always well looked after and safe on the roads. Our drivers conduct daily safety checks at the start of their shifts, with any faults being reported immediately. All of our vehicles are fitted with safety equipment including 360 camera systems, high-visibility signage and beacons, and audible left turn signals.
- We’re reliable – we always ensure that your skip is delivered to the desired location on the requested date so that you can get on with the job at hand. We’ll keep in touch every step of the way so that you’re well informed and know what to expect. Our friendly team is always on hand if you have any queries or need to make any changes to your booking, so please get in touch if and when you need to.
- With our collection of over 2,000 skips of all sizes, our availability is great and you can rest assured that we will be able to fulfil your order whatever your requirements and timescales are. You can book a skip to be delivered as quickly as the next working day meaning you’ll be able to start clearing your waste as soon as you need to.
Here’s what some of our domestic skip hire customers had to say…
“I kept changing my mind about what I needed and I was really unsure of what to go for but the staff were brilliant, so polite and great at accommodating my needs and advising me. Nothing was too much trouble for them.”
“On collection day, the skip was removed early in the morning and we weren’t even aware! The driver was very quiet and no one heard him arrive, load or leave, which was pretty impressive for a large lorry loading metal onto metal! I was pleased with the service from start to finish and I will definitely be using TJ’s skip hire service next time we have the need.”
Dave & Vicky, Fareham
“At the start of the project, we had a lot of soil to dispose of as we were digging the foundations for the extension. As time went on the waste changed to rubble, timber and mixed waste and TJ was able to accommodate all these different types of waste in their skips, which was great.”
Sam Blake, Nutbourne, Chichester
Check out our case studies to read accounts of some of our domestic skip hire customers. Browse skip hire pages to learn more about our skips and the dimensions of each. You can get a quote and book online or feel free to give us a call on 08000 463 964 if you want to chat through your options prior to booking.
Skip hire for manufacturing
The UK is the ninth largest manufacturing nation in the world, with the total value of UK manufactur ...
Meet Owain Denton, Operations Assistant
Owain joined the TJ team as an apprentice in November 2021 and is enjoying the combination of learni ...
Discover iBlend, our recycled aggregate…
TJ supplies thousands of tonnes of bulk recycled fills to key clients every year. We’re a reliable ...