Guide to skip hire for demolition
13 December 2021
Demolition companies undertake a range of different activities, which are usually centred around dismantling buildings and structures. Using anything from basic hand tools to larger plant and machinery, they strip out fittings before demolishing or dismantling the unsafe or obsolete premises.
Demolition companies are responsible for removing hazardous materials before demolition takes place to ensure that what they are taking down is safe and that no dangerous particles will be released into the air in doing so. They endeavour to separate different materials and salvage anything that can be reused so that all materials end up in the correct and most appropriate waste streams.
TJ can help with this process. It can be time consuming separating everything and transporting it to a third party tipping facility. It can also be costly and all companies transporting waste will need to hold a waste carrier’s licence. So why not let us take care of the disposal for you?
There are a few waste disposal options to choose from. Grab hire is great for one-off waste removal as waste can be removed from your site quickly and efficiently, but if you have ongoing waste disposal requirements, skip hire may be the better option. Skip hire is suitable for hazardous materials such as asbestos and plasterboard and we can provide concealed skips for these types of materials to ensure they are stored and transported safely.
At TJ we offer a range of skips to suit every project. Our smaller skips are suitable for small to medium domestic jobs, but as a demolition company, you may require a larger or industrial roll on roll off (RORO) skip.
8 yard mega skip
The 8 yard mega skip is perfect for large, bulky items as well as heavy waste such as builder’s rubble, soil, or concrete. In terms of capacity, it is able to accommodate approximately 60-80 bin bags’ worth (depending on the type of waste you are disposing of) but this should give you a good idea of how much it will take.
12 yard jumbo skip
The 12 yard jumbo skip can hold approximately 120 bags of waste and accommodate large amounts of high volume waste such as metal, wood, plastics and packaging. It’s important to note that skips of this size are not suitable for heavy loads such as soil, rubble and concrete, as it will make the skip too heavy to be lifted once full.
17 yard RORO skip
RORO skips such as our 17 yarders offer a simple, effective and affordable solution for removing a vast range of different types of waste. They are ideal for disposing of waste generated by demolition projects such as rubble, construction waste, soil, wood, metal and plastic.
35 yard RORO skip
Our largest skip, the 35 yard RORO is ideal for large volume commercial waste producers and large scale demolition operations.
These skips are perfectly suited to the disposal of materials such as wood, metal, plastics, glass, window frames, builder’s waste, industrial and demolition waste, as well as dry recyclables.
Types of waste
Skips can be filled with a range of different types of waste – discover the full list of materials that can and cannot go into our skips here. For some materials, separate skips should be used to ensure safety regulations are adhered to.
Plasterboard must be disposed of correctly to ensure there are no ill effects. Plasterboard contains gypsum, a soft sulfate mineral composed of calcium sulfate dihydrate, so if plasterboard is disposed alongside biodegradable wastes it can lead to the production of odorous and toxic hydrogen sulphide gas. The current plasterboard waste management regulations state that plasterboard has to be disposed of separately to prevent this.
Plasterboard should be recycled wherever possible. The gypsum can be removed to enable the remaining parts to be separated and recycled back into raw materials for reuse. Recycling is important and advantageous because it reduces the amount of waste going to landfill and produces a useful resalable product. At TJ, we offer plasterboard-only skips and we always direct all plasterboard down recycling routes.
If you’re working on a project where asbestos is present, think ahead to how you’ll dispose of it. TJ are licenced to carry hazardous materials such as asbestos and can provide you with the complete service. We can provide secure skips and eurobins to your site for you to deposit asbestos into (we cannot directly remove or handle asbestos, you will need a licenced removalist for that task). We will then arrange to collect the full skip or bin from your site and transport it to a third party’s premises, where it will be safely disposed of and any parts that can be recycled will be. Read our asbestos blog for more information…
We class rubble as concrete, bricks, paving slabs and stone exclusively so if you have these materials to dispose of, we can reuse them to produce a range of recycled aggregates, which is not only a good use of these materials, but is also beneficial for the environment as it stops them from going to landfill. Please let us know if you have rubble to dispose of so that we can ensure it remains separate from other waste types and repurposed.
Fridges require separate disposal from other items as they need to be degassed to ensure the cfc gases are dealt with safely and that the fluorescent strips are carefully handled. Find out more about our fridge disposal service…
Liquids such as paint and chemicals must be disposed of correctly as they have to go through special processes to maintain safety. Please do not place these items in a general skip, make us aware if you have liquids to dispose of and we will deal with the collection of your liquid waste separately. Please rest assured that we work with a partner organisation to dispose of these responsibly.
Rather than hiring a skip for up to two weeks, you could opt to go for a ‘skip exchange’ arrangement whereby your skip is taken away once full and replaced with an empty one, giving you a continuous waste disposal option on-site. This works well because as soon as the skip is approaching capacity, you can call us and schedule an exchange so that your work can go on seamlessly, uninterrupted by any issues with waste disposal. We will arrive on time and quickly do the job so that you can continue with your project as usual. We can be on and off site in as little as 30 minutes!
5 reasons to choose TJ for skip hire
- We’re a reputable company and well known in the southern region. We look after our skips and ensure they are in tip top condition so you know you’re getting a quality product. We always handle and dispose of all waste responsibly, ensuring that the waste we remove is taken back to our Materials Recovery Facilities, sorted, segregated and sent down the most appropriate routes. We’re dedicated to diverting waste from landfill so you can rest assured that as much as possible will be reused, recycled or directed down the Energy from Waste route.
- We’re reliable – we always ensure that your skip is delivered to the desired location on the requested date so that you can get on with the job at hand. We’ll keep in touch every step of the way so that you’re well informed and know what to expect. We’ll confirm your booking with you, email your invoices and send you reminders the day before delivery and collection. Our friendly team is always on hand if you have any queries or need to make any changes to your booking, so please get in touch if and when you need to.
- With our collection of over 2,000 skips of all sizes, our availability is great and you can rest assured that we will be able to fulfil your order whatever your requirements and timescales are. You can book a skip to be delivered as quickly as the next working day meaning you’ll be able to start clearing your waste immediately rather than allowing it to delay your project.
- Our entire fleet is modern and safe. Road safety and keeping our fleet in the best possible condition are amongst our top priorities. All of our vehicles – including our skip lorries – are part of a continual renewal and maintenance scheme so that they are always well looked after and safe on the roads. Our drivers conduct daily safety checks at the start of their shifts, with any faults being reported immediately. All of our vehicles are fitted with safety equipment including 360 camera systems and audible left turn signals.
- Having a skip onsite means that your waste will be ‘out of sight, out of mind’ as soon as it goes in, so it’s one less thing to worry about. Make sure you identify the best location to position the skip so that while it’s accessible for loading into, it’s also out of the way, allowing you to continue with the project effectively. Our helpful drivers will position your skip at your place of choice upon delivery and will even be happy to advise if you’re unsure.
Check out our skip hire pages to learn more about our skips and the dimensions of each. Please give us a call on 08000 463 964 to discuss your waste disposal requirements further with us; we’ll be able to advise you on the best course of action and also provide you with competitive quotes for one-off skip hire or skip exchange arrangements.
MEET GARETH WYVILL, CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT
Gareth joined the TJ team last month and is enjoying learning the ropes. Outside of work he is a par ...
MEET DANI REYNOLDS, CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT
Dani joined TJ recently after opting for a career change following 15 years in the hospitality indus ...
Reduce your carbon footprint this Christmas!
Christmas is approaching and in the wake of COP26, it’s the ideal time to take a fresh look at som ...