10 reasons to go for skip hire
15 September 2020
Skips are great for domestic and commercial projects and the ideal commercial waste management solution when used regularly on-site. They are versatile and come in a range of sizes to suit varying amounts and types of waste.
For home projects, whether they are being carried out as a DIY project or completed by a professional, the waste that is generated has to be disposed of. If you are the homeowner doing a project in your spare time, a skip is convenient as you can have it for several weeks allowing you to work on the project at your own pace, filling the skip as you go.
Skips being used for commercial or construction projects can be utilised for continual waste streams and emptied as often or as infrequently as needed. Coming in sizes from 2 yard to 35 yard, there’s one to suit every need and project.
10 REASONS TO CHOOSE SKIP HIRE
- For domestic customers, skips can save you endless trips to the tip, which involves lots of lifting and shifting and can make a mess of your car! Now that trips to the tip have to be booked a week in advance and only one per week is allowed, skip hire is an even more attractive option.
- Our smaller skips are a great option where space is limited as they can fit into smaller gardens and on hardstands, whilst still providing space for 20-30 bin bags of waste (in our smallest 2 yard skip).
- If your house doesn’t have a front garden or forecourt, or you just don’t have space on your property for a skip, TJ can arrange a road permit for your skip (for a small fee), removing any worries you may have about organising this.
- Skips come in a range of sizes from 2 yard minis to 12 yard jumbos, with the added extra of 17 and 35 yard roll-on-roll-off containers, so there’s one to suit every project.
- Skips can be emptied and returned for re-use, giving you a constant waste disposal option on-site.
- You can book a skip to be delivered as quickly as the next working day so you can start clearing that waste almost immediately.
- Having a skip onsite means that the waste is ‘out of sight, out of mind’ as soon as it’s thrown in, so it’s one less thing to worry about.
- You can opt to have the skip for as little as four days and receive a 5% discount (online orders only), or as long as two weeks with pick-up day of your choice.
- Your skip can be delivered and collected without you even being there, meaning it won’t stop you getting on with anything else.
- Skips can be filled with a range of different types of waste – discover the full list of materials that can and cannot go into our skips here. TJ also offers plasterboard-only skips if needed for construction projects.
MORE ABOUT SKIP HIRE
How do you decide which skip is right for your project? You need to estimate how much waste you think you will generate during the project and go for the skip to match. List the materials that you will be disposing of and try to guess how much space it will take up. The guidance below may help, but also check out the individual skip pages for a better idea and exact dimensions.
2 yard ‘mini’ skip: this is ideal for small domestic and garden jobs and will hold 20-30 bin bags’ worth of waste.
4 yard ‘midi’ skip: perfect for projects such as kitchen or bathroom refits or garden clearance, this skip can hold 30-40 bin bags.
6 yard ‘maxi’ skip: it can hold between 50 and 60 bin bags of waste, making it ideal for medium-sized projects such as house renovations and clearance of gardens, garages and lofts.
8 yard ‘mega’ skip: this skip can hold 60-80 bin bags’ worth of waste. It is often used for bulky and heavy waste such as rubble, soil or concrete and is perfect for major renovation work or full house clearance.
12 yard ‘jumbo’ skip: ideal for larger jobs such as full office or house clearances as well as a range of commercial projects, this skip can hold the equivalent of around 120 bin bags.
17 yard ‘roll-on-roll-off’ skip: ideal for construction and demolition projects. These skips are typically used within the commercial and industrial sectors and can be used for disposal of rubble, construction waste, garden waste, soil, wood, metal and plastic.
35 yard ‘roll-on-roll-off’ skip: our largest skip, this is suited for high volume commercial waste producers and large-scale construction operations. It can be used to dispose of large quantities of light, bulky waste as well as heavier materials.
Get an instant online quote today!
Night work - what TJ gets up to after dark...
In recent years, TJ has expanded its offering to deliver overnight services, which provides a range ...
Meet Emma Disney, Transport Operator
Emma works with TJ’s Bristol-based team of drivers, ensuring they are on track with their workload ...
Prioritising customer service
We’ve always put customer service at the forefront of all we do; ensuring the customer is satisfie ...